WHAT YOU SHOULD KNOW:
You will be meeting with your child’s team to develop an Individualized Educational Plan (IEP) that covers the next 12 months.
BEFORE THE MEETING
Understanding the meeting process and reviewing your student’s information will help your meeting run smoothly.
- You will receive a meeting invitation in writing approximately two weeks prior to your meeting date. If you cannot attend on the date provided, contact your Team Chairperson by phone or email to schedule a new day.
- You will be provided with a list of meeting attendees. These are members of your child’s team, and can include: special education liaison, classroom teacher(s), guidance counselor, and service providers.
- You may invite others who have knowledge regarding your child to attend the meeting. Please inform your team in advance of additional attendees.
- Beginning no later than age 14, students are required to be invited to their team meeting. Families determine at what age students start attending part or all of their Team meeting.
- You should receive a parent input questionnaire. You are encouraged to complete and return it prior to the meeting, along with additional ideas, information, or concerns you would like to discuss. Let your Chairperson know if there are certain topics you would like to prioritize in the meeting.
- Review your child’s current IEP and recent progress reports.
DURING THE MEETING
IEP development is an individualized process, but there are certain areas that should be covered in all Team meetings.
- Team members will introduce themselves, sign an attendance sheet, and receive a meeting agenda.
- The team will discuss the various areas of the IEP, including: parent and/or student concerns, student strengths, vision statement, current performance levels, accommodations, goal focus areas, transportation needs, service delivery grid, and placement.
- Student placement is determined based on the IEP developed.
- You are encouraged to take notes, but you will also be given a copy of the meeting notes taken by your Team Chairperson upon leaving the meeting.
- You will be mailed a proposed IEP approximately ten school days after your meeting date.
- If you have questions or concerns about the IEP, contact your Team Chairperson to discuss revisions.
- You are expected to return your signed IEP within 30 days. Services will begin immediately upon receipt.